Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hide it in your Heart

This morning I was challenged to memorize more scripture.  Several years ago I made a goal to memorize the entire book of James.  I got through the first chapter.  So now I'm renewing my commitment to do it and making a goal to have it done by the end of summer.

It may seem like just another thing to do on a list that already runs off the page, but its not.  It's the heart of everything else I want to do.  If I want to speak and write to change lives, the basis of that needs to be the word of God.  In fact, if any of us want to live our lives in a way that makes a deep impact and builds the kingdom of God, our strength and ability to do so comes from God's word.  We can't to anything apart from him.
John 15:7 "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you." 

I want his word to remain in me, to live in me and through me.  I want to speak the word of God and if necessary, use my own words to explain it.  I would love to stand up in front of a group of students and recite a book of the bible as my sermon.  Sounds like a crazy idea doesn't it.  But how powerful could that be?  Jesus was the ultimate teacher after all.

My challenge to you: Join me and commit to memorize a certain amount of scripture this summer.  Let's do it together!  Leave a comment with you commitment.  Maybe it's one chapters, maybe it's several verses.  Ask God what he would have you do and let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny you mention reciting scripture as a sermon. James and I just went to a family camp with our church for the weekend and that's exactly what the speaker did. There were 4 sessions and all he did was 'Biblical Storytelling' (which is what's it's apparently called). It was amazing. I'd heard it done before when I went to see a guy recite the whole book of Mark. I'd love to do the book of Ruth as it's been a powerful book for me this past year. Maybe I'll start on that...