Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Free

I remember it like a photograph. I was about 15 or 16 years old, sitting in the balcony at church during a Sunday morning service. I was enjoying a moment of worship with the Lord when suddenly I had what I believe was a divine revelation. And it was this: "It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of me! In Gods' presence I am completely free to be myself."

This was something I had heard said before, but in that moment I truly understood it and the freedom I felt was like nothing else. I was surrounded by people, some friends and some strangers, and I felt for the first time that it really didn't matter what their opinions about me were. It didn't matter if they thought it was strange that I raised my hands in worship, or didn't like my voice, or if they thought I was uncool or ugly. It didn't matter because God was the one I was designed to please.

Galatians 1:10 says, "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

This verse doesn't just demonstrate that we as believers should focus on pleasing God rather than man. It also says that if we are trying to impress others we are not a servant of Christ! Wow. This is not just an instruction for us, but also an encouragement. If you say that you are a servant of Christ, then you are no longer bound to the approval of other people - you are free!

You are free to be yourself, with all your strengths, weaknesses, quirks and habits. You are free to snort when you laugh, where sweats to the grocery store and tell cheesy jokes. You're free to raise your hands in worship or fall to your knees in humility before the Lord. You are free to share your faith with others and not worry if they will believe, or even if they'll think you're insane. You are free! But the catch is this, when you slip back into pleasing man, it means you aren't serving Christ! It is actually an act of disobedience. So being yourself is not simply an encouragement and calling, but a command.

1 comment:

Kim Kaberle said...

Heather, I wish I had had a revelation like that at age 15. It wasn't until I turned 40yr that I realized who I was in Christ. I am passionate about helping other women who don't have an identity. Thanks for sharing your story. Keep dreaming BIG!!
Kim Kaberle
www.womendivinelydesigned.blogspot.com