Pages

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

More Thoughts on Holding Back...

So I wonder what the bible says about this topic other than "guard your heart"? In terms of church and getting involved I think it is clear that we as believers are members of the "body of Christ". It is also clear that if one part suffers, the whole body suffers with it. If I'm holding back, as apart of the body, it will indeed affect the rest of the body. Its as though one part - my part- has been injured.

Back in September I threw my back out for the first time ever. It was a sign that I am indeed getting older and can't bounce back quite a quickly as when I was 16. Because of that one part of my body being strained, the rest of my physical being suffered. I was unable to sit, walk or run comfortably and was in so much pain I found it hard to concentrate on anything else. Only through rest, massage and chiropractic work was I brought back to full health. Had the injury not healed, I would still be affected today.

When I was in Australia working at the church, I was injured immensely. And now my injury, if not healed by God, could be a detriment to the rest of the body of Christ. Wow! The last thing I want is for the enemy to steal anymore from me, or any other believer because of the painful experience I had there. I don't want the hurt caused by those relationships to continue to hinder myself and others. And yet if I don't let go, forgive, and move on whole-heartedly, this is exactly what will happen. My injury will drag down the body I am apart of.

And so the answer is clear; "If one part suffers, every part suffers with it..." (1 Corin. 12:26) My holding back will affect more than just me.

1 comment:

VKT said...

I broke my hip while keeping a child in my classroom from falling down some steep steps. He had been pushed by another child. Your words really rang true for me. I am glad I found your blog.