Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

iphone, ipad, ipod World.

We drove out of the parking lot and onto the street.  I grabbed my purse and opened the side pocket which always held my phone, but it wasn't there.
"Can I use your phone babe?" I reached for his Blackberry.
"Sure."
After finishing my call I commented on how nice the phone was compared to the cheap-o I have.
"Ya Blackberry's are nice, but not as nice as ipad's, I mean, ipods...u phones".  We both laughed as he struggled to remember the right name.
"iphones?"
"That's the one."

In that moment I was reminded again how selfish our society has become.  Everything, even the name of the most popular cell phones, computers and mp3 players, is all about "I" rather than "You".  They're not called "you phones" for a reason.

It struck me in a particular way this morning as I've been working through some challenges with close friends.  This past two months have been such a busy time for me, and as a result I have let down some important people in my life.  The problem is, I've been focused on "I" and not "You".  This is easy to do when our lives become busy, stressed, emotional, etc.  However, as I mentioned in the last two posts, stress is not from God and worry is actually a sin.  And the result of most sin is that it hurts not only the sinner, but the people around the sinner.  That is what I'm experiencing.
A few of my friends don't feel loved because I've been too busy to show them care.  That breaks my heart.
I don't want the relationships in my life to suffer because I'm not taking the time to give my burdens and worries to God.  When was Jesus ever stressed to the point that relationships weren't his priority?  Yes, he took time to rest, alone and away from the crowd, but he didn't focus on all of his own needs at the expense of the needs of his friends.
Philippians 2:3 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.  Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

No comments: