Pages

Friday, June 04, 2010

Hearing God's Voice

Four years ago I read a book called "Can you Hear Me?" By Brad Jersak and it changed my life.  It changed the way I prayed.  It changed the way I "listened" for God's voice.  It changed my perspective about intimacy with Jesus. 

Last weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to hear Brad speak and it brought me back to the time in my life when I first started hearing God's voice on a regular basis.  In fact, during his talk, he had us do some listening prayer exercises and I was once again amazed by how quickly God responded - but then again why should I be surprised right?

John 10:27 says "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

We were asked to imagine ourselves in a "meeting place" with God.  Mine is in a jungle by a waterfall which falls from 70 feet down into a pool surrounded by smooth stones kinda like this: 
Where would your meeting place be?

The picture I saw last Friday evening was a bit different though.  Jesus was sitting up in a tree like this:
He had a huge smile on his face, like he was almost laughing.  I climbed up to join him and sat beside him on the branch.  I asked him why he was smiling and instinctively I knew it was because he was excited for my future.  He could see what was next and his smile assured me it was good. His eyes were serious and told me not to worry.  And as I rested my head on his shoulder I felt his love and opened my eyes to his perspective.

The reason this picture was so significant is because just the day before I had resigned from my full time, permanent teaching position.  Hearing and seeing this from God was exactly what I needed and brought me so much comfort. 

Psalm 86:17 "Give me a sign of your goodness, that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, for you, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me."

God wants to speak to us!  Why not take some time today and ask him where he would meet you, and what He would say to you?

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I resigned this past year from a fulltime teaching position, as well. I spent the year at Christ For the Nations. It sounds like you and I are on the similar track right now. The reason I joined your blog is because recently I was told to Dream Big. And, I am also a singer, speaker, writer, and artist. Are you on fb? Would like to become friends as the Lord leads. I'll be keeping you in prayer. Myself, I am getting ready to go to Haiti this next week for a missons trip. Then, we will see what God has after...Life is an adventure with Him. Keep encouraged. He does have amazing things ahead for each of us! God bless you!

Amy said...

This post has spoken to where I am in my walk with Christ. Since becoming a follower of Jesus about 8 years ago I am just learning to hear God speak directly to me. One leason I have had to work hard to disiple myself to is to be still. As a working mom it takes planning to make the time and find the place to be still and quiet. I don't get to go there as often as I would like but the place God speaks to me the clearest is a small flowing creek about a mile deep in thick woods. It so peaceful,quiet and surrounded by Him it is almost impossible not to hear from Him if you want to.

Sonya said...

Wow, burning bridges is a huge step. I'm excited for you. Just read this quote in an email...

Helen Keller: “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing”.