Pages

Monday, June 01, 2009

Gardening

I love gardening. Or maybe what I really love is making things beautiful and the best they can be. I have a pretty nice little yard, but by flower beds were ugly when we first bought the house. They were various clumps of flowers all crowded in one area and then empty beds scattered througout the yard. So last year I combined a few of the beds and created a scalloped edge. This year I've taken every single plant out, divided it and relocated it so that they are all evenly dispersed and ready to bloom and look beautiful. And I've done it all pretty much for free! All of my plants have been given to me by my mom or my friend Adrienne's mom and I was even given a pitch fork from my friendly neighbour Philip.
There's something about going outside on a late Sunday afternoon and weeding the garden that is both calming and satisfying. Even when little Bailey is "helping" me dig up weeds and sometimes plopping herself down right on a patch of about-to-bloom Iris's, I still love it! I've also put in a veggie garden for the second year in a row and am anxiously awaiting some green (other than weeds) to sprout out of the black earth. Any day now I hope. There's nothing like fresh garden tomatoes on a piece of toasted multigrain bread covered in mayo. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Kim Lavender-Kitchen said...

Mmmmm...tomatoes! I just bought a lot of herbs and tomato plants...and other randoms. We'll see just how green my thumbs are!